Monday, September 3, 2007

Odd is God

Earlier this weekend we were given the chance to try some new things against the 4DPS team that has given us the most trouble, Sausage Factory, which was a reroll from their original classic+lock setup. We basically moved our shaman to being highly defensive, kept mana burns on the mage, kept UA out of the game with CS, and overall slowed the game down as much as possible with man to man coverage and poly spam. This eventually puts us in a position where we can quickly burst down one of their soft targets when we call for it. I'll definitely go into more explicit detail on how we deal with matchup and how I personally treat playing 4DPS as 2345 in a later post -- this is mostly just a catchup article.

Aside from getting our rating back that we tanked against 4DPS teams, we've not really had a chance to play the "top" teams in the BG much though I'm not honestly sure who they currently are. With so much attention on WSVG and 3s, 5s feels a bit like an afterthought right now. Hopefully, Blizzard will step up with improved disqualification rules and a more competitive season end 5s tournament this time.

I've been playing around with 0/38/23 the past few days; I'm going to hold off saying anything I'll regret about it yet. It is fun, has its problems, and has some potential advantages especially considering the types of teams that give us trouble. I basically tried it out based on Pigvomit's recommendation and goading from Alexial. It's one step closer to DB I guess. ^^

Oh, and Odd = Rahvin = GameOver's pally. He kept our 4DPS team alive. (well for the 20 seconds you need to win) He's baller.

8 comments:

REFT said...

Odd the uninterruptable PALADIN

Emeli said...

How´s your Manareg with that build anyway? Could imagine you getting oom´ed pretty early without Clearcasting/Master of Elements, especially since you seem to play more of an outlast strat in 5s now

Oppo said...

Put spellsurge on everyone's weapon and delay the game till they fall asleep.

Anonymous said...

I remember seeing Rahvin on Rilo's and Azael's old videos. He's definetly a baller! I've played a hunter since release, and kind of wanting to heal now. Kiting + Healing = Win!

Odd[FH] said...

BAWLINNNNNNNNN

Anonymous said...

3v3ing with PV, the build is pretty awesome for rogue teams, but if you get into a 1v1 w/ a decent WE mage you'll get owned for free.

Also, I'd say it has more of a place in priest/mage/rogue than druid/mage/rogue (what I play, as druid) b/c of depoison already taking care of crippling for the most part. That said, having it proc off deadly throw is incredibly hot.

Against the traditonal war/pal/x teams I'd rather have a mage with Ice Barrier, Blazing Speed won't do too much to get you away from a warrior, who will likely just hamstring you or intercept you again moments later. Ice barrier at least absorbs part of a hit and allows me to get off a cyclone or root on the warrior.

And against warlock teams I'd rather just bring a warlock in place of a mage. Warlocks are op etc.

Depz

Anonymous said...

You obviously never played in any high level brackets.

Dispell is nothing we ever do, instead it's healed over.

EATSLEEPREPEAT.NET said...

I'm pretty sure I made my case on 0/38/23 back when PV was on DS. It's a strong build against some of the non-plate teams, as your burst isn't totally reliant on Shatter combos and dispels don't affect you as much. I still prefer x/x/44-type builds however, as they are significantly less situational and much stronger in small-group PvP.