Friday, June 15, 2007

How Will YOU Spend Your 5000 points?

It's no secret that a ton of us mages are going to be running the whole holo-gogs double 2 piece setup. I honestly haven't really determined exactly which 2 pieces you should take from each set if this is your goal, but my initial thoughts are take the new shoulders and legs and use the old chest and gloves. Of course, you can save yourself a Halaa gem and a leg enchant if you do things differently.

The above style is probably really only applicable to mages running on classic style matrices or mages playing AP/frost or AP/fire. WE mages are probably sick of stacking stamina and resilience for which they get zero use; I know I am. Mages running around on 4DPS teams are also likely to pick up the new weapons before set pieces instead of immediately snagging two pieces of the new set.

While there's definitely room for a lot argument on this, the gladiator staff was the stronger mage option last season, but this no longer seems the case. The Endgame was buffed pretty significantly, and the extra damage and resilience from 1h/OH seem to compensate for the few stats points and 42 crit rating on the staff. You might also just be sick of looking at the staff for 3 months, and four more months of the big silly red stick might sound less than appealing.

I think that one thing everyone needs to remember is that our ratings are getting reset so we aren't pulling 1k+ points opening week -- take that into account when planning out your gear path and remember it takes a while to ramp up the point gain. If you drop 5k on the weapon combo, it could be quite a while before you're picking up the set pieces; considering how horrible our set is, I don't see that as a huge problem. ^^

My initial thoughts are come Tuesday I'll be picking up the 1h/OH as I'm not too impressed with the set especially since I play on a 4DPS skill-less zerg team. Then again, that glad wand did get a 13 DPS upgrade...

Seriously, if arena gear were to progress like this every season, in a few seasons that wand would do more damage than scorch reliably...and I'm not kidding. ^^

The other beauty to snagging weapons first is you'll get a few extra weeks to pick up the gems or gold you require to fill out your new arena pieces and star of elunes will return to non-retarded levels. Paying 100-150 gold for gems is cool.

I've actually been working on figuring out if you could use any gear in the game, what would you use and how would you socket it, sort of thing just to see what it would look like. I'll post up a summary tomorrow.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even though picking up the new armor is just points earned. It's hard to pick something up with maybe plus 2 or 3 stats and then spend a ton of money to re-gem and re-enchant. Such is the woes of an MMO.

imYemeth said...

I'm more the PvE-Raiding casual PvP but likes to theoriecraft pvp mage...

Sad thing is, i've got Season 1 legs and shoulders (were the biggest upgrades from all those blue items I had), now I have no idea what to buy, when season 2 chest and hands are worse than season 1... damn.
Maybe I just pick up the 1H for raiding, and start getting Season 2 complete set...

Mr. Kesler said...

I'll be picking up the spellblade and the wand on day 1. For me playing on a burst team, the damage upgrade is far more significant and by not getting the staff I leave myself some PVE options with offhands. Eventually I'll pick up the endgame as well.

And yes, I'll be rocking the hologogs and 2+2.

Awesome blog, you hit on what a lot of us mages are thinking almost before we do ourselves. :) Keep it up.


- Jcg from Kil'Jaeden

Englaived said...

Definately not gonna be picking up season 2 armor first, it is nice for our lock and spriest but barely worth it for me. Might be ok if I wanted to arena as fire spec, but being frost on a 4 dps team I am not even one of the first 3 targets.

Playing on a 4 dps spray and pray team I have been considering wearing more pve gear in 5v5, already wear 2 piece Aldor and it lets you play a lot more aggressive without being owned by aoe damage and pets.

Staff
1 stam
5 int
9 hit
42 crit
vs
Spellblade + OH
33 dmg
16 resil

I was thinking about what weapon to get also and decided to go with the 1h + OH Tuesday. I like a consistent +33 damage bonus over the crit when everyone you fight has 300 or more resil. As a frost mage with emp frostbolt, wc, and shatter i've never found myself lacking crit anyways. The graphic of the 1h also seems to fit the season 2 set more which doesn't hurt.

klassick said...

There is really no reason NOT to get a weapon first.

Anonymous said...

Hey radikal, are you going to be dueling on the PTR this weekend? And if so, what time?

Anonymous said...

Hey raddy! whats the addon in ur PTR dueling vid which shows the timers on ur opponent's debuffs?

thanks!

Tyrenor said...

Nature's EnemyCastBars is the addon he uses. I also noticed it on his latest PvP vid and just had to get it the moment I realized what it was doing. Truly amazing addon.

Also, if you're curious about any others, check a few posts back for his full UI.

Anonymous said...

Eagerly awaiting what you think the best PvE/PvP combination gear would be..

Tea said...

I'm also curious if you will be dueling on PTR tonight or tommorow. I would love to see you(others also) duel live. =]

kzn said...

still waiting for my review!:P

Anonymous said...

/tap

Anonymous said...

WE"RE SKILLED RADI

<3

-Reft