Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Dear Diary I Think I'm

So, there was some drama at ESL. Shrug. To be honest, only the MLG events have really piqued my interest enough to actually watch. Well, that and the fact that they aren't at 4AM. I hate to be whiney, but I can't help but feel the matches are a bit repetitive. I watched the some random CLEAVE team with a nerd enhancement shaman fail to cleave the lock on a WLD and wasn't even able to finish it. Hopefully, WotLK will help WoW be a bit more marketable as an eSport by making it a bit more fun to spectate. Although, thinking about successful eSports in the US, I partially feel Counterstrike was an anomaly. Everyone played it. It was fun to watch. It was accessible. It was simple. The skill divide was massive. WoW, while the more recent events have been better, and things look to be (maybe) improving, has a ways to go. And while we all suck each other dicks for being awesome at this game, I mean, almost none of the "top" teams even really practice.

On the WotLK front, yes the cap has been raised, and well, I'm still seventy seven. Honestly, I've had better, okay other, things to do. My excitement with it is at a record low right now. I'm mostly bitter that nothing works still, so I'll probably just camp on some rested until they get more working. I'm gone all next weekend probably, so eighty will have to wait probably ten-ish days. At that point, I'll probably be looking to arena/duel actively. A few people have asked me my thoughts on random stuff (Deep Freeze, viability of non-frost specs, damage scaling) and I don't really want to bullshit you with anything until I'm dueling and arenaing at 80 against non baddies. My initial reaction is that damage is WAY too fucking high on pretty much every single class and resilience won't do fuck all against it.

Random WotLK Nerd Mage Thought: So frost nova is coded to now break on a fixed amount of damage. This is either sweet or gay for us in arena. Is this amount before or after resilience? If it's after resilience, it might mean that we get an extra lance or two and actually profit from their wearing more resilience. If it's beforehand, then it's a synthetic tax on damage output. Don't really know what's "right" but it will probably be a relevant issue. I could probably test this but I'll let someone nerdier do my work and instead just profit from it.

Random Answer to Random Question: Yes, you can trinket the frostfire bolt snare. It removes the whole debuff, DoT, and all. (You can also EA it)

Random Sense of Damage Scaling Thought: It looks like most classes will sit around 20k health at 80 in Arena gear. Probably a 15% variation around 20k depending on class and buffs. That is really only a 50-60% increase in health, but damage looks to literally be doubling for most classes. Also, with Blizzard's intent on making PvE less dependent on buffs and debuffs and more tied to the classes' baseline damage, the divide between PvE and PvP damage is going to dwindle. Bet on more defensive abilities being added or improved, further buffs to resilience, or just a fuckton of 4dps 5s teams. =p

Deep Freeze: With my penis gear, it does similar damage to a frostbolt. On a 0 resilience target, frostbolt into deep freeze into 3 lances is roughly 15k damage at 77. This is with zero gear upgrades. Resilience bumps this down to more like 11k, but I think with damage scaling, the new shatter combos will be doing 20-30% more than the old. While this seems like massive damage, Ret Pallies, Frost DKs, and Rogues have even scarier burst. o.O Can't wait for patch 3.0 stupidity. LF 3dps 3s.

I'm still planning on writing the mage/priest guide. I just have nooooo time. Sooooon.

32 comments:

^oo^ said...

FIRST OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

Anonymous said...

Frost nova and fear have been breaking on a fixed amount of damage since tbc. The glyph is the first time you have been able to increase that cap in an easily recognizable way.

Anonymous said...

"Frost nova and fear have been breaking on a fixed amount of damage since tbc."

No. I've had fears last through 90% of my health in TBC (roughly 9K dmg). Ever since the early TBC frost nova nerf, the MOST ive landed on someone is 3 lances and that happens maybe once a month, if that. Grated, 90%-HP-fears dont happen too often either but still. Fear shouldnt EVER last for more than 2k damage.

Anonymous said...

i predict 3.0 will make healers obsolete in arena. penance? aoe heals? seriously? i wouldn't be surprised if 5dps became common.

JimmyHoffa said...

@ the second poster:

Frost Nova and fear make an RNG check modified by damage every time damage is dealt. The more damage you take the greater the chance the effect is removed.

Sometimes fear breaks on the first dot tick, sometimes there's an RNG streak and it runs the full duration with the player taking a shit ton of dot damage.

Anonymous said...

rofl well i scrolled down and read the mage glyph entry, making that "i hate to be whiney" quote in this entry pretty hilarious.

Anonymous said...

im hoping spell power changes come forward so i can respec my druid boomkin and my shaman resto.

anonymous2 said...

finally I'm gona be able to laugh at healers... the bastards have been sodomicing me long enough :((

Anonymous said...

sodomicing.. is that like gerbiling?

Vhairi said...

WTB: WotLK Raddy Duels Vid.

Also, I really don't see the wotlk damage vs healing imbalance lasting as they haven't got round to dps adjustments yet.

I also feel the 'pre-release' launch of talents is a way to get mass stats on balance data so they can tweak talents/abilities prior to the expansion based on real-world use.

Anonymous said...

WTS: WTLK Beta Key

$200

vugt2008 @ gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Sad thing is someone will probably want to buy your broken tricycle.

Oppo said...

RNG is swedish for 'skill'

Anonymous said...

oppo is english for 'awful'

Anonymous said...

of course badikal wont release a beta duels video. he sucks to much and has to whine more instead of improving his non existant skills.

Anonymous said...

good. after getting shit on by healers for all of BC, looking forward to ripping of a few druids heads, even if it only lasts a few weeks

badams said...

icelance spam inc

Rob said...

^

Rob said...

PS: I'm addicted to BGing as PoM/Pyro.

samuelbeckett said...

you're clearly a gryffindor. its only natural for all the slytherins to be haytin on you.

Oppo said...

@ anon

My dad can beat up your dad.

Cigma said...

If you do not comment on the updated mage talents soon, god knows what I'm liable to do. I'm pretty sure it'll involve hurting myself.

Personally, I can't wait until icelance is the only spell I have to cast in PvP (see impact and fingers of frost).

Anonymous said...

pet nova -> frostbolt -> ice lance -> deep freeze -> frostbolt -> ice lance -> ice lance -> frost nova -> frostbolt -> ice lance

Anonymous said...

Ultimate Shatter Combo!!!

Eltariel said...

the only shatter around here was the sound of your mothers pelvis when i was pounding her, dear sir.

Raptor said...

ULLLLLLTRAAAAAAAAA COMBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Raddy said...

COOL

WTS US OPEN SEASON TICKETS LOWER PROM

Anonymous said...

RADDY ANA IVANOVIC LOST WTF

Nether said...

World number one Ana Ivanovic was sent crashing out of the US Open by French qualifier Julie Coin, who claimed a shock 6-3 4-6 6-3 second-round win.

OH SHI-

Anonymous said...

Ana is the worst number 1 in female tennis in a long time.

Compare it to the mens game. The gap in competition is just huge.

Women's Tennis is such a joke.

Raddy said...

you don't fap to the ones you love duh

Anonymous said...

wow, does this mean you are gonna start copypasting the watchtower now?