Saturday, August 25, 2007

11 CLOCK NEWS: HAMCHOOK GUNS DOWN THE MOB

YOU HEARD IT HERE...FIRST!

<3 to YWL for repping BG Scrubstrike

First night playing 2345 against stiff competition, it was pretty fun. ^^ Naturally we started the night with a DC, but afterwards spent the night trading games back and forth with Firemen Squadron. They run classic+hunter which is a challenging matchup for 2345 (well challenging for us at least as we've been running 2345 for < 4 hrs). Basically, they put hunter and pet on me with constant vipers and silencings, and put pressure on our priest and do what they can to stall the game to let viper do its damage. This is similar to how we used to play 2345 teams as classic+hunter so it wasn't like we were unprepared for their game. (This isn't Europe where apparently nobody has SEEN a hunter before)

I know that a lot of people are tempted to just say "just kill the pet, it has no resil, dies fast." The problem is that if you fail to kill the pet, you've wasted that time and mana -- both precious resources in the matchup. We initially tried a few strategies: moving burst around with MS debuff, keeping pressure on the priest, keeping pressure on the mage, playing defensively and just killing pets, etc. None of these were as effective for us as running split DPS on the priest and hunter; perhaps this is a noobish way of handling the matchup but it does allow me to do significantly more damage as me and my pet aren't chasing around a priest for long stretches of time. If you ignore the priest too much though, his ability to dispel your CC is too great and you end up being unable to control their DPS well enough for your priest to play an active role. In Nagrand, I found myself able to avoid vipers and hunter harassment, but in RoL you really eat the vipers hard; embarrassingly, I found myself using first mana gem pretty much as I summoned first pet and pulling out second gem when I was at zero mana for a fireblast on a low target or a blink to stay alive.

The games were educational; 2345 is much more reactive than 4DPS because with 4DPS you can really control the fight to such a degree where adapting is less of a factor. Don't think because I've stopped playing 4DPS, I'm going to become anti 4DPS or anything though. ^^ There are just different advantages and disadvantages.

It's also an interesting role reversal as I'm familiar with playing very aggressive in 4DPS teams while our shaman, Reft, was our most defensive DPS member -- now that's flipped. It's back to sheeping better than my video editing and running around praying for the chance to land a decent shatter combo. I thought it would be hard to readjust to the playstyle difference, but it's not really that hard -- I've always been more comfortable playing a heavy kite style of play.

I don't have much intelligent to say about tonight's games -- I think we had watched a lot of different strong 2345 teams play and we all thought very different things about how we'd play. Ultimately, you can steal great ideas but you do have to make them your own. ^^

Huge thanks to Firemen Squadron for the games -- I beg the other Stormstrike teams to Q up Monday night for some games; we're high rated and not very good! Our playing schedule will basically be mon-thur-fri evenings and hopefully afternoons and evenings on the weekends.

WSVG matches were great. Come hang out on IRC and cheer for Yea We Lift tomorrow. I'll also be lamenting any losses of EG as I have a strange love for the Huks.

Oh and Mounsif made me eat my words about dueling resto druids on PTR earlier today. Got to step my game up! I still feel like I have the advantage in the match, but perhaps I'm overconfident or delusional. This whole argument came up with the Benevolent vs Spoh moment earlier at WSVG. Either way, I got ripped. ^^

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

w00t?

Saithe said...

MoB got sCr@p3dz0rZZ

GG to hamschool n co., MoB played very well.

Raddy, I dont know if you were keeping up with the rogues, but did any one stand out ot you personally?

Anonymous said...

HEY ER, NITRANA MAYBE.

Raddy said...

nitrana vs spoh showdown was amazing

Anonymous said...

I thought it was pretty funny how the announcers thought that the mage could actually take out Spoh at the end of that match. Mages may have a chance in an open dueling area against a resto druid or holy priest, but definitely not in LOS friendly arenas.

Also I still haven't been able to catch any matches where yea we lift played, have they not been streaming them?

huck said...

anyone know what time warcraft is gonna be streamed tomarrow?

Raddy said...

I actually thought benevolent could/would win that 1v1 considering the circumstances.

Zyz said...

WoW finals are at 1pm EST tomorrow.
http://thewsvg.com for the stream.

Anonymous said...

Since most CD's were used and mana was low for both Spoh and Bene, wouldn't it make sense that Spoh had the upper hand with better regen?

Anonymous said...

How to beat a mage as a resto druid/holy priest 1vs1 in arena: hot yourself, dot the mage, run out of los endlessly.

I don't see how the mage can win without being able to use any cast time spells, running around using only instants is self mana burn. Spoh played fairly offensively which was risky, but he really didn't have to put himself in any situation where he has to deal with frostbolts. It doesn't matter if the mage goes to drink, he can drink too and full mana bar vs full mana bar doesn't make it any more winnable for the mage if he can never do any real burst.

There's a reason whenever you see screenshots of long arena games, it's always games that come down to 1vs1s with either healer vs healer or mage vs healer.

I really think they should consider lowering the mana cost on mage instant cast damage spells, it could also help fire specs become more viable especially if it was a fire talent.

Oppo said...

I had a 40 minute long match that ended with me against a resto druid.


I won.



...Because I ran him out of water.




Think about that.


He wasn't even that geared or that good.

I geared and pro resto druid would stomp me flat and eat my hat.

Pillars need to slowly sink into the ground as the match progresses.

After like 10 minutes or something they should be completely negated.

Anonymous said...

where on irc are u usually raddy?

Anonymous said...

what's the irc chan u talked about, and what exactly is a 2345 lineup?

Raddy said...

irc.gamesurge.net

#fhpvp
#bg5

Raddy said...

WSVG better not DQ YWL for using scorpion.

Jagmohan - BDF said...

GGs Raddy.

I think you have it backwards though...we were like 4-1 on you in Nagrand/Blade's, and only 1-3 on RoL (don't remember the exact numbers). I can see how from your perspective it seems to be worse to not be able to duck my Vipers on RoL, but any priest with a brain (i.e Dez) can hug the coffin and massively exploit my deadzone. If I try to run around to get a better angle, he just LoS's me, or I get snared, or (worse) I expose myself away from healers. If I get on top of the coffin, Dez just runs up to me and I can't get out of minimum range without dropping LoS.

Dez should have died SOOO many times on RoL but he could just trivially dodge my DPS during burst phases and we wouldn't be able to finish him when he got low. Nothing is as punishing to hunters in arena as that coffin in RoL. On Nagrand, it was easier for you to duck me because I was switching to Dez more often.