Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Loose Ends Redux

As of last night, GameOver will no longer be the same 4DPS team it has been all season. While it is premature to talk about the future of the team, I can say that we'll be back in playing condition by the weekend and intend to remain competitive at the top of the battlegroup. It is always amazing to me the sacrifices that players make for each other, their guilds, and their teams -- farming consumables for raids, rolling a new character or new race just to improve their arena team, sacrificing lots of RL commitments to makes raids or arena times, or just sticking through lots of drama. This is somewhat relevant just for the fact that many of the players I know choose classes or specs they dislike just to satisfy their team's objectives. (BUT I DON'T)

It will definitely be a while till we're back to top level play, but expect to see mostly familiar names. I can't really speak to what matrix we'll exactly be running but it probably will be closer to a 2.5healer team than a 4DPS team. I'll very much miss playing on our 4DPS team; I think that it was by far the best team we'd ever had -- I would have been very comfortable playing that team on the private server. That being said, I like having diverse experience and welcome the chance to try and learn additional team formats. It's probably about time to trade in some of these +dmg gems though. ^^

Moving forward I have a few articles that I've been wanting to write in varying stages of completeness. Aesthyr is at Leipzig for the gaming show and promises he will give me at least a few paragraphs on his thoughts on SC2. I've had lots of time to read various fantasy WLK talent setups and analysis threads, and would like to do at least a little discussion of what I hope to see...and what I think we'll see.

Despite blue posts and rumors to the contrary, my spies have told me that the Beta pass from Blizzcon is indeed for SC2 and not WLK; supposedly, beta passes for WLK will be awarded to guild with significant PvE progression, to participants in the previous TBC beta, and to high ranking arena players. Again, this isn't "reliable" info, but I trust it more than the other sources I've seen. =p

I'm sure to mention this many more times before WSVG this weekend, but best of luck to the Yeah We Lift and Trounce guys. Just remember that you wouldn't be rated 1400 on BG 9. (Not Even 1400 on BG9 is a sick team name btw)

In response to being asked in comments and on IRC what I do, how I shouldn't mix WoW and RL, and other weird things: I don't really talk about that stuff on this blog. It isn't relevant. The end. ^^ (1. Who really cares 2. No reason to give haters ammo) Even comments like "I BET YOU JUMP A LOT IRL" leave me shivering, cold and naked, listening to death cab, praying for sweet death's gentle embrace. The district sleep alone tonight ~~

Actually sort of on that topic, I'm flattered to have been approached and offered the opportunity to write for many of the PvP related blogs out there. I'm still undecided exactly what I'll do, but I do like having my own site even if it remains small relative to the leading brands. It's nice having a site I can update from my phone, where I know a large number of those who leave comments (I don't get 100+ anonymous "YOU GAY SUCK SUCKY" everyday), where people can read it from work and the RSS feed actually works, where I can write at my own pace on my own topics without "dragging down the team", and where there is absolutely zero drama or conflict of interest. That said, I'm still open-minded.

I started using Proximo after watching the Rag Dolled vid; I had heard that it was the best arena mod previously, but I was way too lazy to check it out. After just a week of use, it is AWESOME. Even though I use Nurfed with party targets, I really like the built in targeting bars. They're not useful for assisting, but are quick and intuitive for telling who's targeting who. It's a bit hard to describe how it's better than Gladiator or Nurfed Arena, so just go check it out. =p

Since I'm really skipping around like crazy from topic to topic, I'll add a farewell to ArenaBlogger, which not only was among the few WoW PvP blogs with a working RSS feed (UNLIKE THE BLOG FORMERLY KNOWN AS SHADOW GAMING), but also was a fun blog for keeping track of teams across the different battlegroups. I tend to keep in touch with at least a few BG9 players (who remind me how I'm bad and would never make it on BG9, duh, that's why I stay on Scrubstrike), and I know what's happening on our BG, but Cyclone, Reckoning? Who knows! Who cares? Nobody good plays there anyways. It was always kind of fun reading about random teams I'd otherwise never would have known existed. (And will possibly face at the end of the season)

30 comments:

Dahis said...

I don't even know what an RSS feed is, bite me.

Guess I'll google it (yes I'm an e-noob)

gablo said...

dahis, rss feeds make the world go round

Anonymous said...

Love you rad ^_^

jesse said...

I know this sounds very strange on a site like this, but you have a very unusual writing style. You mix gamer speak, valley girl, sarcasm, and analytic prose in a disturbing way.

Anonymous said...

YOU ARE A VALLEY GIRL IRL RADDY THE SECRET IS OUT

teki said...

You wouldnt be 1400 on BG9

harmin said...

So no 5v5 vid from your 4DPS team ever now?

Tweedledum said...

Shame to hear about the demise of your 4 DPS team, but don't you think a 2.5 healer team will prove to be stronger? What teams would give you trouble?

Also, this site is great, as an aspiring arena mage (level 57 and counting) it's very interesting to get an insight into high level arena play. P.S don't work for Gameriot, for the reasons you posted.

Tweed

Anonymous said...

ur a valley girl

Goretongue said...

Cyclone is the Watts of Competitive WoW Gaming.

If Watts was a mecca of semi-competent nerdlings.

Then again, maybe it is. I haven't been there in months.

dam said...

love your blog, write something about druids plxplxplx

Oppo said...

server =/= skill, raddy.

I can rape a BG9'er on PTRs and I can lose to a no-name from Shattered Halls just as fast.

You know this.


Kudus for not caving in to this giant blog conglomeration thing going on, btw.

Ming...the new Borg?

Nadagast said...

Tweedledum, I'm not on Game Over, but I think 4dps is the strongest setup in 5s right now. Much stronger than 2 or 2.5 healer...

Tweedledum said...

Nadagast, I know nothing about 5s, so I'm sure you're completely right hehe. Could you explain though? Like how it's better than say 2 healer? :)

Anonymous said...

You can be far gayer here than on any other blog. Don't change!

Vontre said...

This is the only blog I read now because I refuse to read shitriot.

Also, hats.

nano said...

Smeared black ink... your palms are sweaty
And i'm barely listening
to last demands
I'm staring at the asphalt wondering
what's buried underneath
where i am

I'll wear my badge... a vinyl sticker with big block letters adherent to my chest
That tells your new friends i am a visitor here...
I am not permanent
And the only thing keeping me dry is where i am

You seem so out of context in this gaudy apartment complex
A stranger with your door key explaining that i am just visiting
And i am finally seeing why i was the one worth leaving

D.C. sleeps alone tonight

You seem so so out of context in this gaudy apartment complex
A stranger with your door key explaining that i am just visiting
And i am finally seeing why i was the one worth leaving
The district sleeps alone tonight after the bars turn out their lights
And send the autos swerving into the loneliest evening
And i am finally seeing why i was the one worth leaving

Anonymous said...

hey radiakl have you seen inflame from feel the pain's new team?

75-1 record and 2nd with a 2331 rating

http://eu.wowarmory.com/arena-ladder.xml?b=Blackout&ts=5

Tweedledum said...

I <3 Postal Service

Anonymous said...

Radi, You say you are going to 2/2.5 healer setup and that someone is being leveled up to that playing field. But why? What is wrong with your caster heavy 4 dps team? Why not bring in a hunter to your 4 dps as they can effectivly take most melee out of a fight esp after 2.2.

Also, don't ever go to shitriot, I'll hate you )oh noes!(

klassick said...

Download and setup Proximo for me please, I'm more lazy than you.

Nadagast said...

Tweedledum, I think the reason 4 dps is so strong is partly/largely because of the pressure 4 dps puts on the 2-2.5 healer teams Warrior and healers. The 1.5-2 other DPSers (usually mage + shaman/lock/hunter) have to be constantly helping the team keep the warrior up since the pally and priest on the 2 healer team are so vulnerable to cc/interrupts and with the amount of damage coming out even a short interrupt can cause death.

The pressure you put on the Warrior really creates a chain reaction that makes the team fall apart. Without MS and the warrior's damage its hard to land a kill and still keep everyone on your team alive at the same time. Not to mention, the 4 dps team can switch at any time and put huge pressure on anyone else on the team (Pallies after DS, priest, shaman). The 2 healer team has to make no mistakes or they will lose someone...

Nadagast said...

One thing I would add is that you could probably create a team that would do well vs 4dps, but that would get owned by a balanced setup. It's pretty disappointing that the best arena bracket is becoming more rock paper scissors.

Tweedledum said...

nadgast, I see what you mean now :) although a 2 healer set up could still be pretty strong against 4 dps, just lots of CC at the start to rob them of their momentum surely? (I realise this is delving deep into theorycraft territory hehe) I know Pigvomit wanted Mage/Lock/Warr/Pally/Priest (holy/disc) for his 'ideal' set up, that was a while back, but that does seem very strong and flexible.

So do you reckon we'll see a 4dps team win the next 5v5 tourney (if there is one)?

Raddy said...

DEATH CAB AND POSTAL SERVICE ARE PRETTY MUCH THE SAME THING GOD DAMNIT

AND I AM NOT A VALLEY GIRL

Well we're not really move away from 4DPS by choice, it just sorta happened and we'll roll with it. I've played rogue+classic, lock+classic, hunter + classic, 4DPS, and now 2345. It's fun running different teams. ^^

Juvey - FH said...

Radikal is the most homosexual man, but I love him very deeply (i mean it, deep inside me) He is the butter to my bread. He is the jelly to my peanut butter. He is the condom to my peen. I love u Radikal.

Nadagast said...

Tweedledum of course you really have no other choice but to go full or mostly CC, this is why it's so hard to land a kill. People think that 4dps needs the early momentum but they really don't. Anytime the Warrior goes into berserker stance to do damage, it's really easy (unless they are oom) to force him back to defensive and regain control of the match.

And as long as the next 5s tourney isn't as screwed up as the first (with DQs so people run weird ass setups) I'd be surprised if a 4dps team *didn't* win.

eKS said...

lol it only took 30 comments to ask the big questoin

Anonymous said...

I'm sure Yecal is on another "I'm really quitting the game this time because I hate it!!" rants again. My guess is he quit and someone else feels they need to reroll.

Raddy said...

he then played every song from 1993
the crowd applauded as he curtsied bashfuly
your eyelashes tickle by neck with every nervous blink
and it was perfect